We've had the plasterer round all weekend and today, it was my turn to get out of the house for a bit. My Mum took me to a home ware discount shop we have here in the UK called Homesense. I wasn't expecting to find bookish things there at all, so it was an even better surprise when I managed to grab myself one of the best book related bargains I've found all year - a set of 10 Penguin Red Adventure Classics, brand new, for £13 reduced from £79.
I love the Penguin Red editions, I already own the Around the World in 80 Days version, so I knew that the quality is great and the covers have a lovely vintage adventure feel. Included in the collection are the following books:
1. Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
2. The Riddle of the Sands by Erksine Childers
3. Greenmantle by John Buchan
4. The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan
5. The Man Who Was Thursday by G K Chesterton
6. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
7. The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope
8. Rupert of Hentzau by Anthony Hope
9. The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
10. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.
How cool is that? I love a good swash-buckling epic, so I can't wait to start The Prisoner of Zenda in particular.
While I was out, I also persuaded my Mum to stop in Waterstones, where I bought this journal to keep a track of my wishlist. I had my wishlist saved on my laptop that broke, so I've decided that a paper copy is the best way to go this time. Each page is divided into two columns, for author and title, so it should be practical as well as attractive.
Have you had any good bookish buys lately?