Saturday 7 June 2014

Norweigan Wood by Haruki Murakami


A coming of age story, Norwegian Wood is set in 1960s Tokyo and tells a classic tale of love and heart-break.  After the suicide of his best friend Kizuki, university student Toru finds himself drawn to Kizuki's girlfriend, Naoko.  He falls in love with Naoko, but she is damaged herself and may be incapable of giving Toru everything that he wants.  When quirky Midori marches into his life, Toru finds himself torn between the two girls, as he also struggles with the process of becoming an adult.

I am new to Murakami, and I'm also new to Japanese literature in general.  It's something I've wanted to try for a long time, but this is my first real attempt.  Having done some research since finishing the novel, it's clear that I probably shouldn't have started with Norwegian Wood, as it's not at all typical of Murakami's work in general.  I went into it expecting something kooky and slightly surreal, full of unusual elements, so was somewhat disappointed when it turned out to be a straight story.  The story of Toru's growing up is interesting, and Murakami is no doubt a talented writer, but it just didn't match what I was expecting it to be, and that made the whole experience a bit jarring.

I did enjoy Murakami's characterisation, especially that of Midori.  Midori is outgoing, lively and not afraid to say what she wants, even demanding it at times.  In fact, all of the women in the novel were like this and I found it quite refreshing.  I liked that Murakami captured the complex emotions of being a young adult, and that none of the situations were simplified.  Toru's experiences had the feel of real life experiences, full of contrasting wants and desires. A large portion of the novel deals with mental health and suicide, and again I thought this was handled well by Murakami.  Things do feel big and overwhelming when you're Toru's age, and the sections on mental health captured this perfectly.

As I'm writing this, I'm trying to work out exactly why I didn't love this novel.  It has so many strong elements, but the reading experience was underwhelming for me.  I found it a bit too long and repetitive in places, and it's not a book that I enjoyed picking up and diving into.  I could understand Toru, but it was hard to relate to him.  I'm leaving the book keen to try another Murakami (perhaps The Wind Up Bird Chronicle?), but I can't see myself ever reading this one again.

Source: Personal copy
First Published: 1987
Edition Read: Vintage, 2003
Score: 3 out of 5

21 comments:

  1. I probably also wouldn't have started with Murakami as my introduction to Japanese literature. He tends to write very fantastical prose and I always felt that his books could have been set in any country, not just Japan. I don't know if it has to do with the translation or if he writes just like that, but his books feel more American than Japanese.

    That said, I haven't read this one. I will have to give it a try since you mention that this one was pretty straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who else would you recommend for Japanese literature? I'm keen to try more but have to admit to being pretty clueless about it.

      Delete
  2. This was the second Murakami book that I read, and I read it as part of a readalong, which made the experience a lot of fun despite not loving this particular book. I loved Midori and didn't understand Toru at all, but I think a lot of my not connecting with the book is a result of not knowing the cultural context--I've not read a lot of Japanese literature but what I've read mystifies me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readathons make all books fun :)
      There were parts when I was definitely confused by the cultural context too, but in other parts I saw a lot of similarities with British culture & social rules.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy very much Murakami and can't wait for the new release very soon! I liked that one, though 1Q84 is by far my favorite. I like to try less known ones, Sputnik Sweetheart was my latest by him: http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/11/17/book-review-sputnik-sweetheart-by-murakami/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a new release, and the length of 1Q84 scares me!
      Your review of Sputnik Sweetheart makes it sound very interesting, I've added it to my wishlist.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting to read. I usually do not care for Japanese literature, but I do have two Murakami novels waiting to be read here. I am very curious to see if I like his writing or not.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a few of his others, but not Norwegian Wood or 1Q84 yet. Interesting to hear your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1Q84 scares me, it's just so long!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think that's why I haven't started it yet, because I was going to borrow it from the library!

      Delete
  6. I, rightly or wrongly, tend to put some of the blame on the translation if I'm not able to fully connect with a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that translations can make a massive difference on how well readers connect with novels, but I think my issues with this one probably went beyond that.

      Delete
  7. I found this tough going and gave up more than half way through. I very very seldom give up on a book. This was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare for me to give up on a book too, but it's the best thing to do if you're just not enjoying it.

      Delete
  8. I've seen this on many blogs recently and I have to admit I do not feel at all like reading it. You saying that you have no idea why you didn't like it is quite how I feel about it.

    Are you planning your next Japanse novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the next one I read will probably be another Murakami, but one that's more representative of him, if that makes sense?
      Tom's reading one by another Japanese author called Hell at the moment, might give that one a try if he likes it.

      Delete
  9. I am a big fan of Murakami's work but Norwegian Wood is one of my least favourites of his. It's funny, lots of people recommend that newcomers to Murakami start here because it's the least surreal and most 'accessible', perhaps, but I think for that exact reason I definitely wouldn't advise reading it as your first Murakami! It isn't especially typical of his writing. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my favourite, and 1Q84 is also totally charming and easy to get into despite its length. Good luck with whichever one you try next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find it accessible but I wanted a bit of surreal, to be honest!
      Out of the two you mention, I'm more keen to try The Wind up Bird Chronicle, as I do find the length of 1Q84 daunting...

      Delete
  10. I've never tried Murakami either and am not really sure if I want to or not. So many people love his books, but it's just really hard for me to figure out if they will work for me. reading this review though, I am more convinced that I shouldn't try one of them just because I feel I *should* but maybe one of the storylines will pique my interest. I'm not in a hurry though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this one when I read it many years ago, but I was younger and my tastes were different. I am curious to re-read it and see if I feel differently. It's been a long time since I read Murakami, so I need to try some more stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete