Sunday 28 April 2013

Sam Sunday #13: The Arrival of Spring


After what felt like an extremely long winter, we've finally had some signs of spring this past week.  The sun was around for a few days, I was able to go to work without a coat and my vegetables are starting to grow. My tomato plants are getting taller, my chillies are sprouting and the onion shoots are greener by the day.  No sign of the wildflowers yet, but they were planted later than everything else so I'm still hopeful.

The arrival of spring has coincided with me feeling really great in myself this week.  I live on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster and lately it has been even more pronounced than usual, with the stress of moving house, the OFSTED inspection and other stuff in my personal life.  But this last week, I have felt myself evening out to content and that feels great, long may it continue!

I do have some great news to share this week too; I'm going to be a godparent to my wonderful nephew, who is now five months old.  To be honest, I don't really know what I'm supposed to do in that role as I don't have any godparents myself and am not religious.  But my sister and her husband are choosing to raise my nephew in a certain way and I respect that and will of course be ready for the June Christening.

This upcoming week should be a good one.  Two of our closest friends are just back from their honeymoon and we're having them round for dinner on Tuesday evening.  Next weekend is a long one, with the May Day bank holiday and I am very excited about the extra day off work, three day weekends are brilliant.

This week, I've been reading:
  

Reviews posted:
Under the Jewelled Sky by Alison McQueen (don't forget to enter my giveaway!)

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on becoming a godmother! I have one and I've grown up in a mainly Catholic country although me and my family are not religious and the godparents thing is mainly a tradition. You just have to be supportive, help him as you'd do since you are already his aunt and buy him something special every once in a while. I think godparents can be really special figures in one's life even though you're not Catholic.

    I'm sorry about your emotional rollecoaster. I know how it feels and how spring can upset things. I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a really mild winter but our spring is sure making up for it. Today is cold and wet! It feels strange to be in sweats this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are well and truly coming into autumn, with crispy mornings and clear sunny, mild days - one of the loveliest times of the year in Sydney. I'm a godmother - highly unorthodox, being as I'm Jewish and my goddaughter was christened Anglican - but the whole thing was a big out of the ordinary! She's all grown up and at Uni now, and we chat all the time - lovely girl who is already making a mark - I'm very proud of her and it's been a privilege - enjoy!
    To possibly contribute to an up moment - I have THAT BOOK with me today and WILL walk down to the post office at lunch time to send it to you!! I feel SO embarrassed... It's been a messy few months for us, and I'm just so disorganised it's not funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we always feel better in Spring/Autumn, the weather has such a big impact on our moods.

    Looking forward to hearing what you thought of Cascade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring has tentatively arrived here as well and I'm so happy about it :) I'm glad to hear that you've been feeling good, yay! I hope you're enjoying Cascade. I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound very happy and energized in this post... so happy for all the good things going on in your life now. This was the first weekend it really felt like spring here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the good things in life! Spring is coming in fits and starts here. It's trying...but still a little too chilly for me. I think we're going to go right from winter to unbearable summer. We'll see what May brings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear your weather is warming up. It is now TOO warm here in Arizona - we just had our first 100 degree F day :-( Needless to say, my wildflowers have expired in the heat so I am fascinated by your garden.
    There's really nothing like a bit of sunshine to change your mood. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. During my absence, I totally missed out on your move. Congratulations! I'm glad that you are well settled and that your vegetables are also getting settled at home!! Glad that you're having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear things are looking up! The downswings can be brutal and you definitely had a stressful stretch there for a while. Do we get pictures of the goodies in the garden? It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete