Sunday 6 July 2014

Sam Sunday #54: Two Weeks Old


I think we're slowly getting used to having a baby now.  Giles is two weeks old today and we're starting to get into a rhythm more.  It helps that I'm feeling so much better physically, more like my old self again.  I'm under no illusions that it's going to take a good couple of months to feel 100% again, but I feel pretty good considering everything that happened during the birth.  It's helped that Tom and our families have been great at pitching in, so I've been able to take a lot of naps and I've not had to think about housework or cooking, or any other run of the mill jobs.

The good news is that Giles is thriving.   He's already gained some weight compared to his birth weight, which is fantastic.  He's starting to stay awake for slightly longer periods of time now, and really studies whoever is holding him.  We had a stressful day on Friday, when he just cried and cried and cried for about seven hours, but apart from that he's been pretty chilled. 

Tom is back to work tomorrow after two weeks paternity leave, so I'm a little nervous about doing everything by myself.  My sister is taking the day off tomorrow and coming round, and Tom finishes work for the summer holidays on the 17th, but I'm still a bit scared!  I'm able to drive and walk around a bit more now, so hopefully that will help over the next week and a bit.  I am looking forward to all of the quality time I'll get to have with just me and him.

Over the past few days, as we've got into more of a routine, I've had a bit more time for reading, and that's been really nice.  I'm just a few pages off finishing Joanna Kavenna's The Birth of Love and I'm looking forward to picking out a new book.

Hope everyone had a great week :)

18 comments:

  1. How ADORABLE he is. He looks so healthy. You get strong too. Great on family helping.

    It does take some getting used to, but it is WONDERFUL to be a parent.

    ENJOY your bundle of joy...he will be grown before you know it.

    I hope you choose a great book next.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, he's so cute! I didn't get a chance to say congratulations yet, so congratulations!

    Glad to hear you're starting to hit your parenting stride. Hope this week on your own goes smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, he looks so adorable! I am glad to hear that you are getting into the rhythm now. Good that Tom had two weeks off! Only a couple more weeks and he's going to be home again! Hang on - you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that things are getting better and you are getting used to the little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep the pictures coming. And don't worry, you'll be fine on your ow with Giles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're beginning to feel like your old self again! Giles is just adorable... you're lucky to have family around to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know you're getting stronger now. He is so cute! It was a bit worrying that Giles cried for about seven hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweetie! You can post as many pictures of Giles as you want--he is adorable. Don't worry, he will teach you everything you need to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, he's just the cutest little bubba! I'm glad you're feeling better and don't be scaredddd of being on your own- I'm sure you'll do amazingly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet face! He couldn't be cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I've been offline for a couple of weeks, so missed this news. Congratulations!! Glad to hear that both mum and bub (and dad) are doing well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's funny you mention The Birth of Love. That was the book that made me realize how much my reading changed after I had Greyson. The part where the little boy is standing in the hallway calling for his mom and she's gone to the hospital....TOTALLY slayed me. OMG. It never would've bothered me prior to having him, but afterwards my heart ached in a way I hadn't expected.

    Glad you're all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! I'm glad you're all doing well. Your son is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy to hear things are going well -- and he's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh look at him. He is gorgeous, Sam!! And I'm glad you're doing better, remember to take good care of yourself :) And don't worry, everything will be fine, you're not on your own! As you say, you have your families around and that is amazing and it is how things really should be. Enjoy your little, precious baby boy!

    ReplyDelete