Sunday 9 October 2011

Sunday Salon: Memes


Those of you that stopped by my blog in the week will know that I'm trying to revive the meme I started almost a year ago: Wonderful Wednesdays.  The reason for this is mainly that my reading pace has slowed dramatically compared to the summer holidays.  I know this is true for a lot of us too - we're all back at work or school, and in the run up to Christmas as well there just isn't as much time for reading.

Wonderful Wednesdays is supposed to be a way around that, as it lets us discuss books without reading any new books.  It highlights books that we've read in the past, possibly pre-blogging and each post should be a discussion of a book we have enjoyed (rather than just a list or a brief comment).  I also think that with all the new books that we read, ARC copies and ones with buzz, it's nice to step back and revisit some old faves.

Maria from Fly High visited my blog during the week and pointed out that it might be useful if people knew in advance what the topic for each Wonderful Wednesday is going to be, so they have a chance to think about it and decide what to write about, or maybe even schedule a post.  So I've added a picture on my right sidebar with next week's topic written underneath.  Next Wednesday, I (and anyone else who wants to join me!) will be writing about our favourite books in the historical fiction genre, literary or not.

I'm hoping that this meme will become a way to discuss great books and get new recommendations every week.  I hope it stays small scale but in-depth, with a group of people that ending reading and commenting on each others blogs.  Anyone who wants to take part is more than welcome (the more the merrier!), and I'm also open to topic ideas too.  If I use your topic idea one week, I will of course credit you and link to your blog.

So who's with me?

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting project-I will try to recall to join in next week-one of the most viewed posts on my blog was one I did on Japanese Historical fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! I don't usually do the memes I participate in every week - sometimes I'm just too busy, but I'll definitely join in when I can. Off to check out my HF books and decide which to talk about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds good to me - I think it's great to try and get some older books some exposure as well. It always seems to be the same books an a lot of blogs - all recent releases that the publisher has just sent out. Nothing wrong with that - but a bit of variety is nice! I'm not sure how often I'll be able to take part but I will definitely stop by! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay I'm so glad you're reviving this :-) I am totally in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, Japanese historical fiction sounds intriguing. I don't know much about it so I would be interested in seeing your post.

    Danielle, yes, it's not something you would have to do every week. It's more laid back than that :)

    Mel, I agree, I think older books are often forgotten amidst all the ARCs and new books.

    Bex, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like fun! I may have to participate. A discussion on scary books might be fun for closer to Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookishhobbit, great idea. I'll save that one for the Weds before Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, thanks Sam. Historical fiction is a great choice. CU on Oct. 12th, then!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered what happened to your meme! It was a fun way to revive old favorites. I'm glad you brought it back :)

    ReplyDelete