Friday 7 October 2011

Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

Imagine living in society where you can only read state-sanctioned literature.  Sijie takes us back to Communist-era China during the Cultural Revolution in Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.  Two young men are sent to the countryside to be 're-educated' out of their urban, bourgeoisie ways by the local peasants.  Between horrible tasks such as transporting animal waste, they discover a hidden stash of Western literature and this experience changes them and those around them in a multitude of ways.

I was so excited to read this book.  I've been interested in Chinese Communism for years, so knew quite a lot of the background, and I always enjoy books that are about the power of reading.  But unfortunately this one just didn't click for me.

My first issue was the length.  Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is more of a novella than a novel, which I don't mind in general but it felt as though it was short due to Sijie's deliberately bare writing style.  I know this is a question of personal taste, but very minimalist writing like this doesn't do anything for me.  I didn't feel connected with the characters or with their experiences.  I also thought that anyone who approached this book without knowing anything about Chinese Communism wouldn't be able to appreciate the context of this novel, and thus the real power of its message.

I do think Sijie did a fantastic job of showing the harsh reality of life for the peasants and I appreciated how the Little Seamstress herself changed through second-hand exposure to the literature, as well as the two boys themselves changing.  For this reason I enjoyed the later sections of the book and the ending.

But ultimately I just didn't connect with this book in the way that I had hoped I would.  I felt as though the message and power of the book was hindered by the minimalistic/realistic style chosen by the author. I know others loved the book for the same reason that I didn't enjoy it.

Verdict: Interesting idea, disappointing execution.
Source: Won in a giveaway!
Score: 2.5 out of 5

17 comments:

  1. I'm interested in any literature with a Chinese background. As you say, I guess you either like the minimalist style or you don't. I wonder whether it reflects an unsentimental way of expressing reality (even in a work of fiction)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book about two years ago-I also enjoyed the Chinese background but what I liked best was seeing how the treasure trove of western classics influenced the lives of the characters. It is a slight book but to me well worth reading. I enjoyed recalling the book through your excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this yet. I also have Wild Swans on my list.

    In grad school I took a class about the performing arts in contemporary China, and one movie that stuck out to me is "Farewell My Concubine." You might enjoy it, similar themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I have been wanting to read this book as well, but I was put off by the price - especially considering the book's slimness, as you rightly pointed. Have you tried Wild Swans? Or any of Yiyun Li's books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I felt the same way. I was most excited to read this as it seems to also be a book-about-books, but I found that part to be very minimal as well. I finished it and then gave it away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I think the unsympathetic reality is the reason the book was written this way, but I need to connect with characters to enjoy a book.

    Mel, I like anything generally that is about the power of books.

    Jenny, you must read Wild Swans! Immediately! It's one of my favourites :)

    SoulMuser - I love Wild Swans, and also Jung Chang's biography of Mao. Yiyun Li I've never heard of - I'll have to do some research.

    Trish, glad someone felt the same as me about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember being somewhat let down by this book, too...maybe my expectations were too high. Wild Swans is on my shelf. Judging from the comments, I should make time for it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to read this book until I read some reviews that had similar complaints to yours. I don't think I could handle such minimal prose because I like a lot of details. Here's hoping that your next book makes up for the disappointment you felt with this one! *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  9. JoAnn, I think I too suffered with high expectations. And yes, read Wild Swans!

    Bookishhobbit, if you like details then this isn't the book for you. I'm reading a history of Cleopatra at the moment and very much enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd forgotten how short this book is but you're right--it is more like a novella. I read this for a contemporary lit class a few years ago and really liked it, but then again, I love any book about people who love reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoughtful review. I haven't read this but have considered it given I too have a great interest in Chinese culture. Spare prose hits the mark sometimes while on others it leaves the reader wanting more - I think it is a very personal thing and has a lot to do with whether we have the experiences/background to grow the stories ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was reading your review when it hit me that I saw a movie a couple of years ago with this same exact plot...

    Just popped over from Wikipedia and found out that this book was indeed made into a film. The topic itself sounds very interesting, but I don't think it will suit me. I know very little about Communist China, and hate minimalist writing. I love little details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teacher/Learner - I did like the idea of the book, but it fell flat for me. Quite a disappointment!

    Joanne, have you read Wild Swans or Jung Chang's biography of Mao? I would recommend both. I agree that whether minimalism works depends very much on your experiences.

    Darlyn, I didn't know there was a movie! I love little details too, which is why I generally enjoy gothic fiction, Victorian writing and historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A member of my book club lent this to me, but I've been procrastinating reading it. Now I'm wondering if I should keep procrastinating, or just hand it back unread. :/ At least it's a slim volume, but there are so many books I'm aching to read that it hurts a little to spend time with something unenjoyable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sam - I read Wild Swans in my late teens and it still sits pride of place on my bookshelf reserved for my all-time favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought the book was pretty good but the movie was a bit slow. We read it and watched it for my book club.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got this at Goodwill a couple of months ago and haven't found the time to read it. I'm interested in getting into it based on what you've provided by it's peculiar style. Can't wait to share!

    ReplyDelete