Sunday 3 November 2013

Sam Sunday #32: RIP Wrap-Up


The end of October means the end of the RIP VIII reading event, where participants read spooky and/or dark books throughout September and October.  I was aiming to complete Peril the First, meaning I was hoping to read four books for this challenge.  I did post a rather ambitious book pile at the start of the event:


Of course I didn't get through all these titles but I did read:
  1. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - This was OK, it had a very sweet romance but it didn't set my world alight.
  2. Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin - This atmospheric vampire novel set on a steamboat on the Mississippi river was probably my favourite RIP read.
  3. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - This wasn't on my original list, but I wanted to read it.  I loved the concept, but something about Gaiman's writing didn't work for me.
  4. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon - Another unplanned read, this is a darker fantasy story about clairvoyants in a brutal society.  It was very good, but could never live up to the hype surrounding it.
  5. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - I was really looking forward to this classic, but the ambiguity in the story stopped me from enjoying it.
Although I didn't read all of the titles I wanted to, I'm happy to have read five.  This was my first year participating in RIP, and I'll definitely be signing up again next year.  I loved snuggling up on the colder evenings with creepy or darker books.

In other news, I'm back to work tomorrow after the half term break.  It's been a very relaxing break which was just what I needed, as boy was I run down before the holiday started.  I'm hoping to improve my work-life balance once I'm back at work and not let it completely take over my life.  I will make time for reading and blogging!

This week, I've been reading:

Reviews posted:

20 comments:

  1. You should try the BBC miniseries of Neverwhere. It's not the best thing the BBC has ever made, and some of the effects are truly terrible, BUT I am rather fond of it. Paterson Joseph has never been so delightful as when he's playing the Marquis de Carabas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like the miniseries a lot as I loved the ideas, but the writing didn't quite work for me. I shall have to hunt it out!

      Delete
  2. I think finding that balance between work, hobbies, family, etc is like almost the hardest thing. How do some people do it so perfectly and effortlessly?

    I enjoyed RIP VIII as well and it's kind of nice how it spans over two months, it felt like there was a lot of time to get the reading done :) I'm curious about Fevre Dream, it would be interesting to read something else from him other than Westeros books. The only other thing of his I've only seen on the screen - they made his novelette Sandkings into an episode of The Outer Limits, it was a proper creepy thing to watch and I'm sure it'll make an entertaining read as well.

    Have a nice week, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard! I think people who do it apparently effortlessly must not be doing something properly! My job has no set hours really so it's easy to keep on going when I should be relaxing etc.

      Fevre Dream was a lot of fun, perfect for Halloween time. Hope your week is good too :)

      Delete
  3. You did well! I read Turn of the Screw some years ago and wasn't all that keen on it either. I like the sound of Fevre Dream so will look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fevre Dream was such a fun read, I think you would enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. You did a great job with the RIP reading! I set out to read two and I'm finishing the second now. It's a slow start for this girl who isn't such a big fan of creepy tales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More importantly, have you enjoyed the books?

      Delete
    2. I did. :) Maybe I just have to read scary stories during the day...

      Delete
  5. You managed lots of reading! I'm sorry - again - you didn't like The Turn of the Screw.

    I hope you find a healthy and not exausting work/life balance. I once read somewhere "never work harder than your students" which I think could be argued against, but seems like a fitting saying right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of that saying but can see no way of managing it! I'll settle with just working a bit less than I have been...

      Delete
  6. You did amazing! All the RIP posts have made me really keen to join in next year.

    I hope the rest of your term goes well and you succeed with the balance thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join next year, it was a really low-key challenge and I still had plenty of time to read other books too.

      Delete
  7. I would have joined except I've been absolutely smitten with War and Peace, so no dark and spooky for me this fall. It's a great event, though, and it looks like you did well! As for for the ones you missed, there's always next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel guilty as I was going to read War and Peace this year and never quite got to it! I'm sure I will read and love it one day.....

      Delete
  8. This is such a great challenge. I wish I have the time to do this as well. Anyway, I can relate to planning only to be side-tracked by other books. I think as long as you're reading along the lines of the challenge you've set out to do then you shouldn't worry about it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading planning is always sidetracked, but I don't feel guilty about it. Reading should be fun :)

      Delete
  9. Well done 5 books is a great amount and what a diverse mixture too. Happy new term and reading in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad I managed to fit those five books in.

      Delete
  10. I'm reading Huck Finn too! I feel like the last person on the planet who hasn't read it. Really liking it so far (except some of the rafting parts are hard to follow). Hope you'll visit my blog and share your thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete