It's time for another Classics Club Spin! Readers select and number twenty books from their lists, and then a number is posted on the website, on Monday 18th November. You have to read the book that corresponds to that number over the next couple of months. Usually I pick categories such as 'books I'm excited about' and 'books I'm dreading', but this time I have chosen pure randomness. I used random.org to select twenty unread books on my list, not including rereads.
Here's what came out:
1. The Painted Veil - W. Somerset Maugham
2. The Awakening - Kate Chopin
3. Persuasion - Jane Austen
4. Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
5. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
6. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein
7. Goodbye to Berlin - Christopher Isherwood
8. Bonjour Tristesse - Francoise Sagan
9. Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie
10. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
11. The Good Earth - Pearl Buck
12. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
13. Orlando - Virginia Woolf
14. Anthony and Cleopatra - William Shakespeare
15. Hard Times - Charles Dickens
16. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
17. Kim - Rudyard Kipling
18. Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
19. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
20. Othello - William Shakespeare
Overall, I'm happy with how that turned out. My list is awesome up until book 13, as all of the books before then are ones that I am so keen to read, including Les Mis. After that it gets a little bit intimidating with Virginia Woolf, whose books scare me. I have to admit that I'm not really in a Dickens mood at the moment, and I won't be happy if Moby Dick is selected, although I will have to read it at some point. Random.org really wanted me to read Their Eyes Were Watching God as it's number came up about four times during the selection process. I'm secretly hoping for The Awakening or the Tenant of Wildfell Hall.
Are you taking part in the spin? I'd love to see your list if you are.