Thursday 12 July 2012

Jasmine Nights by Julia Gregson


Saba Tarcan is a half-Turkish girl living in Wales during World War Two who dreams of using her voice to escape her mundane surroundings.  She auditions for ENSA and is delighted to be offered the chance to travel to the Middle East and be a part of performances to boost troop morale in the desert, even though her father threatens to disown her.  Saba plunges in head first, eager to soak up all the experiences life has to offer her, including a romance with injured fighter pilot Dom.  When she is approached by the secret service for a mission she is uniquely qualified for, Saba is seduced by the idea of doing something exciting and important, oblivious to the danger the offer also entails.  But life during war is not a fairy tale, and Saba and Dom are both in for some hard lessons.

Jasmine Nights is all about the naivety of youth.  Saba and Dom both think they are untouchable, that nothing will happen to them, that hardships and suffering are for others but never for themselves.  They both throw themselves willingly into dangerous situations, thinking of the glamour and adventure rather than the consequences.  Saba is entranced by the glitter and shine of wartime Egypt, the praise she receives for her voice, the beautiful dresses and the chance to finally live her dream.  She ignores warnings given by everyone around her and behaves as if her life is a Hollywood movie in which she has the starring role.  Dom has already been shot down once but willingly requests a move to an active company so he can continue to fly.  They fall completely, dramatically in love and trust in a happy ever after ending.

The first half of the novelwas like this and I was starting to question whether Jasmine Nights would be a book for me.  Where was the grit?  The realism?  But as I read into the second half and Saba became more involved with her spying mission, the grit gradually seeped in and both Saba and Dom learned some hard lessons indeed.  The technique of making the first half so light and glamourous was a success as it provided a great contrast with the events nearer the end of the book.  The final sections were gripping to read and I think Gregson was clever to structure the novel in the way she did.

Overall, I did think there was too much romance.  I don't mind reading about characters falling in love and it was well written, but in this book what I really wanted to read about was Saba's role in the secret service.  I knew that women served as spies during World War Two and I find this completely fascinating.  I wanted the character of Mr Cleeve, Saba's agent/boss, to be further developed, especially his reaction in the aftermath of events at the end of the book.  For someone intelligent, Saba shows remarkably little curiosity about the secret service - I wanted her to find out more so I could be in on the secret too!  Altering the balance slightly away from romance would have made this novel work better for me.

All in all, I enjoyed Jasmine Nights. The setting of WWII Egypt was of course wonderful and I was satisfied with the ending.  I just found the first half a bit too light and fluffy and a bit too long.

Source: From the publisher (Simon and Schuster) via Netgalley
First Published: 5th June 2012
Score: 4 out of 5

10 comments:

  1. Ok, after reading your review, I have to recommend Code Name Verity to you. It's about two young female spies who are best friends. It's really heavy on the intrigue and surprise plot twists, and there is no romance to be found. It's one of my favorite reads so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked up Code Name Verity and your recommendation is spot on, thanks Lindsey! Now to wait for my library to get a copy...

      Delete
    2. If I sent the copy I borrowed from my library to you, do you think the librarians would mind?!?! It's only an ocean away, right?

      Delete
  2. This sounds intriguing. With Egypt as a setting and Turkish girl, it all sounds so exotic! too bad there was too much fluffy stuff at the beginning. I am not a big fan of romance, but like you I probably look forward to the secret service part a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much tolerance for romance (unless it's Austen) but I think this would be a good intro to historical fiction for someone who reads contemporary or romance novels.

      Delete
  3. I like the WWII setting in Egypt. I read a story with a similar setting and it was wonderful. Leaving the romance aside, this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the second person I've seen who thought there was too much romance in the book. Makes me a little nervous since I'm supposed to be getting this from the Library Thing giveaway, and I'm not real big on a lot of romance in books. Hopefully the other parts counteract it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, the romance wasn't too much, I just have a low tolerance for it. I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  5. I was not previously familiar with this book, but will have to give it a try. I love the time and setting. The romance sounds good to me. :) Thank you for the great review.

    ReplyDelete