Thursday 19 April 2012

Thoughts On The Orange Prize Shortlist



The shortlist for the 2012 Orange Prize for fiction was announced on Tuesday.  As regular readers know, I've been trying to read as many of the longlisted books as possible this year and then predict which ones would make it into the shortlist and even go on to win the prize.  It seems that I'm definitely not an expert yet but I have had some small successes.

I was pleased to see Madeline Miller's Song of Achilles make the list as I completely fell in love with the love story of Patroclus and Achilles when I read it.  Song Of Achilles remains my pick for the overall prize.  Similarly, I very much enjoyed Esi Edugyan's Half Blood Blues, a tale of a black American jazz player caught up in the seizure of Paris by the Nazi's during World War Two.  I didn't love it as much as Song of Achilles, but thought Half Blood Blues was a well crafted book with a strong narrator that stands a decent chance of winning.

I also had some success with books I had more lukewarm reactions too as they didn't make the cut.  Stella Tillyard's Tides Of War had a decent story of women finding their own way during the Peninsular war but simply had too much going on.  Emma Donoghue's The Sealed Letter had a great closing section but a slow start.  And Francesca Kay's The Translation of the Bones was lovely, but too quiet and understated for the Orange Prize.

However, I was completely wrong about Jane Harris' Gillespie and I, about an elderly spinster that isn't all she makes out to be.  I simply adored the book and felt certain it would be short-listed and was torn between backing this and Song of Achilles for the overall prize.  Maybe the judges didn't want too much historical fiction in the shortlist?  Or maybe it was too similar to The Sealed Letter? Either way, I was most definitely wrong!

I also dismissed some of the shortlisted books without reading them.  I had intended to read both State of Wonder and Painter of Silence already (just waiting for my holds to come in) but I didn't reserve either Foreign Bodies or The Forgotten Waltz.  Now that they have been shortlisted I will give them a go, to see if my initial reaction was too hasty.

Have you read any of the shortlist?  If so, what would your pick for the prize be?

15 comments:

  1. Of the two on the longlist I did read, The Submission and The Night Cirus, neither made the shortlist, as you know. I am interested in reading State of Wonder though, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually had State of Wonder downloaded on my kindle for quite some time, but now I'll have the push to actually read it. I've heard so many good things about it.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the middle of listening to Song of Achilles audiobook and LOVING it! The narrator and story are wonderful. I also have Half Blood and State of Wonder on my TBR shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are loving it Trish, it's probably my favourite read of the year so far. Half Blood Blues is a great read too, the voice of the narrator is very unique.

      Delete
  3. I'm bummed The Submission didn't make the short list! That was one of the best books I have read in a long time. But maybe it's more resonant for those of us in the US than for people in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read the Submission but I have read a few reviews about it and think that it's themes would definitely apply in the UK too, even though the action is set in America because we have had similar debates. It's one I want to read soon.

      Delete
  4. I'm getting Gillespie and I on loan from another library.. so now I'm just waiting. If it's anything like The Sealed Letter, I will love it. I also really really really want to read Half Blood Blues. Song of Achilles doesn't seem like something I would enjoy, but you usually point me in the right direction. I'm ashamed to say that I've only read State of Wonder, which I loved. I'm not really a fan of Enright, and Ozack's work just seemed too similar. You've done much better than most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you're going to read it :)
      Half Blood Blues is fantastic, the narrator is unique and the dialect really interesting. To be honest I was ambivalent about reading Song of Achilles as I didn't know much about Greek mythology but I was so glad I picked it up. I'm hoping to read State of Wonder soon, I have it on my kindle waiting for me.

      Delete
  5. I read Song of Achilles and State of Wonder. Loved both, but Achilles was one of top 3 books I read last year, so that would edge out the Patchett. Tried the Cynthia Ozick and it just didn't click with me.

    Lindsey, I think you might be rightm re: The Submission and non-American audiences. I agree with you that it was a fine debut novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that Achilles is fab, I'm hoping it will win the prize. I'm going to be reading State of Wonder soon, I hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

      Delete
  6. I've only read one of them so I couldn't give any comparison. The one I read was State of Wonder, and I thought it was very good, but I know reactions have been mixed. It was very atmospheric and had some fascinating characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading State of Wonder soon and I have seen some mixed reviews of it. I'm looking forward to it though, I think it sounds great!

      Delete
  7. So many people seem disappointed that Gillespie and I didn't make the list. I've read State of Wonder and The Forgotten Waltz and loved them both. Would like to read Ozick's novel, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a hold on for The Forgotten Waltz, so I'm encouraged by the fact that you loved it. I'll be reading Ozick too.

      Delete
  8. i enjoyed this post immensely and look forward to reading the orange prize short list!

    also, i haven't visited your blog in awhile. i quite enjoy the new look! :D

    ReplyDelete