Sunday 19 December 2010

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse #2

I'm officially addicted to this series.  I'm slowing myself down by reading other books in between but could easily if I let myself read the whole series in one go over the Christmas break.

Synopsis: When the vampires save her life after an attack, Sookie is in their debt.  She gets sent to Dallas to investigate a missing vampire, whose disappearance may be linked with a fundamentalist anti-vampire church (think Westboro but for vampires).

Score: 3 out of 5

I enjoyed this book a bit more than the first one, probably because I haven't seen True Blood season 2 yet, making the whole plot new to me.  I approved of Eric having a more central role, and like the first, it was a quick, lively and engaging read.  Sookie as a narrator keeps the pace fast and light, and the more I read her narration the more she grows on me.

That said, there were downsides to moving all of the action to Dallas.  I missed some of the regular Bon  Temps characters, and the new Dallas ones didn't seem as well rounded or developed.  There were lots more supernatural creatures involved, and I do hope the series doesn't start to get a bit silly over the next few books.

A perfect relaxation read.

3 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to this series too. I think some books are better than others, but I really enjoyed them anyway. I love Eric, and later on in the series I love Pam too. I haven't read any of her other series, but my cousin said the Harper Connelly series is really good, so I'd like to read them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series. I have reviewed each one for my web column. I seriously can not wait for her next one to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mummazappa - Glad I'm not the only one addicted! I love Eric too, and am looking forward to seeing how all the characters develop during the series.

    @The Lady with the Kitty - Have you got a link to your reviews? I would be interested to see what other people make of the series.

    ReplyDelete