Friday 31 December 2010

2010 in Review

2010 was the year I started this blog, and I'm so glad I did as I never realised how enjoyable book blogging would be.  I only started seriously in August and it's swallowed up all my free time ever since (in a good way!).  I love discussing books, seeing what others have read and writing my reviews.  I've read and enjoyed some fantastic books that I would have never ever have heard of if it wasn't for the blogging community.

I've also just hit the landmark of 100 followers, which I'm really pleased about.  It felt daunting at first getting my blog out there, but the effort has definitely paid off. 

In 2011, I hope to become a bit more organised with my blog.  I won't be completing any reading challenges as I change my mind a lot about what I want to read, but I will be keeping better track of what I have read and hopefully adding some new features to my blog.  I also hope to read a good proportion of classics.

Aside from my blog, I hope to be a bit less consumerist in 2011.  I've been sale shopping over the past few days and seeing how people push and shove past others just to get at more stuff has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.  I have enough stuff.  I'm going to try out only buying what I need, and then treating myself on a fortnightly basis to something small I don't need.  I'll be using my library more and reading the books I already have.  I'll be cooking dinners from scratch most evenings (I do this anyway, I've just been a bit naughty with the takeouts).  My Lovefilm account is going to be used properly so I don't buy anymore DVDs.  Eating out and going out is fine, it's physical stuff that I'm hoping to tackle and the whole feeling of "I've had a bad day so I'm going to go and buy something to cheer myself up".

Unfortunately I didn't keep a track of all the books I read this year, though I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the region of 65.  Here are the top-rated books from my blog:

 The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
Small Island by Andrea Levy
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson




15 comments:

  1. Ooh I love that cover of Lolita!

    I'm so glad I found your blog this year! Trust me you have more than 100 readers even if that's the "following" count (as there are those of us who don't use that system). You probably have twice that number! :)

    Looking forward to what the new year brings you. I know what you mean about the consumerism. My sister lives in a third-world country and going to visit her really made me think a lot about that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam! We roughly started our blogs around the same time - awesome! :) I'm so glad to have found your blog! Even though we do have different tastes in books (as you've said), I still enjoy reading your reviews and adding some books I normally wouldn't read to my tbr. :) Congratulations on 100 followers, m'dear! ♥

    I hope you have a safe and wonderful New Years! I'm looking forward to seeing/stalking you in 2011! ♥ Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I recently passed 100 followers too. I'm a new follower - you read a lot of great sounding books that I don't hear about other places mucy, so I'm exicted to see what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started blogging this year as well and have enjoyed every part of this entire process! I'm so glad that I came across your blog and I'm excited for 2011 also! Congratulations on having 100 followers as well and Amanda is right - more than likely you have more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amanda - I'm glad I found your blog too, I've picked up some good recommendations from you! I'm not too fussed about the number of readers, it's just nice to hit the 100 milestone. Consumerism is such a tricky thing, because in many ways our whole society is built on it. I'm going to try to go back to finding ways to have fun without buying stuff. Wish me luck!

    @Kristina - You're right, reading your blog has expanded my reading tastes too. Happy New Year to you as well :)

    @Annette - thanks for following back. I've been reading your blog for a while and I love the variety of books you read.

    @Coffee and a Book Chick - I'm glad that I came across your blog too, and hope that 2011 is a good blogging year for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here via Book Blogs.

    I'd recommend GoodReads.com for keeping track of what you've read and what you've got to read (it's good for entering giveaways etc too!).

    Anyway, all the best for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year.

    I have enjoyed your blog and followed since the beginning. You started at the same time as me, and I am just as surprised with myself that I have kept it up and I think I have a few followers, well hopefully anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad I found your blog too- congratulations on getting 100 followers! Sorry I haven't replied to your comments on my blog directly on here for a while.

    I'm glad you enjoy Coverliciousm, it's fun to write! Thanks for your suggestion, I was considering something along the same lines myself but as the theme is different every time e.g lookalike covers or US v UK covers it would be hard to do. Can you think of a way to get round this?

    I love the Bright Young Things cover too, I forgot to mention it in the post! Anna Godbersen always has beautiful covers with gorgeous dresses. I'm sure you'd enjoy the book if you like the twenties :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Remarkable Creatures!! Mary Anning was such an intriguing person. I started blogging in June of this year and I can't believe how consuming it has been. I love it..although my "read" count would probably be much higher. I wouldn't change it though! I love it! :)

    Good luck with your resolutions for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sam! Yes, I am going to be a teacher in about 3 years. I have to take language arts and social studies classes first and then transfer into the master's program which is a year long. I'll be able to teach grades 4-9. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Crimson Petal and The White! You're one of the few people I know who's read it; I'm reluctant to recommend it to friends I knew because it was so long, but I thoroughly enjoyed every page. It was great to meet you in 2010, and I look forward to more interchange in 2011. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Nikki-Ann - thanks for stopping by. Do you have a blog I can follow? I'm trying out Library Thing for keeping a track of my books, it's just taking a bit of time to get it all set up!

    Jamie - It is very consuming, although like you it's making me read more and more too, which can only be a good thing! Hope you have a great 2011 too.

    Bellezza - I'm glad someone else enjoyed The Crimson Petal and The White! The length was not a problem for me, if anything I wanted it to be even longer so I could find out what happened to Sugar and Sophie next. Hope you have a great 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started in 2010 as well, and have realised how obsessional(in a good way) blogging is, but also I've learnt that I'm not the only person that loves literature,no not like books LOVES BOOKS (another obsession) which amazed me as personally I know no one who is into books like I'm into books.
    Best Wishes for 2011
    Parrish.
    Nicked an idea (with consent) from Bellezza's blog- setting up a page to record everything thats read, so will have a yearly record of whats read. It may help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also started book blogging in August, so we'll be celebrating a blogoversary together :) I also didn't track what I read prior to August, so I'm estimating my numbers, unfortunately. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I love seeing Bill Bryson on peoples' favourites lists. I just discovered him last year and am busy hoarding his books so I can pull them out whenever I need something funny to read. Congratulations on your 100 followers! I just joined the ranks as well :)

    ReplyDelete