It's rare for me to join in with Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish, but something about this theme really struck me. I am terrible for reading author backlists - I keep on discovering amazing authors and adding all their titles to my wishlist, but I never get around to actually reading them. So without further ado, here are the ten authors I need to read more of:
- Geraldine Brooks - I absolutely adored People of the Book when I read it during my historical fiction kick a few years back. I even own copies of March and Year of Wonders, I just need to pick them up and read them!
- Angela Carter - There are no words for how much I loved her dark fairytale retellings in The Bloody Chamber. I'm very keen to try Nights at the Circus in particular.
- Daphne du Maurier - Rebecca became one of my favourite books as soon as I tried it. I loved the twists and turns, and how unreliable the narrator was. I think Jamaica Inn will be next.
- Jane Harris - Gillespie and I was another deliciously creepy book with an unreliable narrator. I've heard The Observations is just as good.
- Eva Ibbotson - Eva's books are fluffy and fun and like a warm bath in the middle of winter. There's so many of them I want to read!
- W. Somerset Maugham - I'm only just getting into modern classics, and I adored The Painted Veil. I have a whole set of his books, but think I will be trying The Magician next.
- Marisha Pessl - Night Film was just awesome! I know it's very different, but I really want to try Special Topics in Calamity Physics.
- Brandon Sanderson - Steelheart was good, but the Mistborn trilogy is the one I really want to try. I love some epic fantasy when I'm in the mood.
- John Steinbeck - He's my husband's favourite author, and I loved East of Eden. The ones I really want to try are Cannery Row and Grapes of Wrath.
- Lucy Knisley - And finally and graphic novelist. I loved Knisley's account of he time in France in French Milk, and fully intend to get my hands on Relish as soon as possible.
Have you read any of these authors? If so, what did you think?
If you're taking part in Top Ten Tuesday this week, I'd love to visit your list.