Today we spent the morning in one of my favourite towns, which has an excellent second hand bookshop and the main branch of my library system. This always results in book acquisitions!
From the Second Hand Bookshop:
- Among Others by Jo Walton - I've been interested in this book for ages, so was thrilled to see it. It's a fictional diary of a young girl as she encounters science fiction and fantasy classics and battles an ancient enchantment.
- The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale - I don't read much historical fiction at the moment but I love the sound of this one as it contains details of how fireworks are made!
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - Both my husband and I have been wanting to own this classic for the longest time. The devil visits Russia.
From the Library:
- The Child that Books Built by Francis Spufford - A memoir of an adult rereading all of his childhood favourites. I do love a good book about books.
- Kraken by China Mieville - Another one I've been meaning to try for a while. A kraken in London's Natural History Museum comes to life and is worshipped by a sinister cult.
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin - I really enjoyed one of Jemisin's other books, The Killing Moon, so I've been meaning to start this series.
- A Rough Guide to Classic Novels - As if I don't have enough to read already! I'm sure I will be keen to read lots of classics after flicking through this little volume.
Won in a giveaway:
- The Secrets of Life and Death by Rebecca Alexander - It has magic and contains the Countess Elizabeth Bathory, so I'm officially excited.
Have you read any of these titles?
If so, I'd love to know what you thought of them.