Sunday 31 July 2011

Honeymoon


We're off on our American honeymoon tomorrow!  First port of call will be Las Vegas for four days, where we are going to do all of the tacky things plus have a guided airplane tour of the Grand Canyon.  After that, it's a flight to Houston, Texas to start our Deep South adventure!  We are hoping to visit Houston, New Orleans, Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta and Birmingham (although not in that order!). I'd love to get to Savannah too but think that will be pushing it. I have my Sat Nav all programmed and ready to go.

I'm really excited because even though I've been all over Europe, I've never been outside of the continent I was born in.  I'm nervous about driving on the wrong side of the road, but sure I will get used to it with time.  I think the heat will be a big shock (we're at around 19C here at the moment, highest summer temps usually 25C) but hopefully we'll have an amazing time.

I'm taking my laptop so will probably update this blog if the places we stay in have wi-fi connections.  However, it will be travel stuff and hopefully photos rather than book reviews and there won't be any regularity to it.  I also won't have as much time to devote to reading and commenting on your blogs as I normally would, but that doesn't mean I don't care anymore! Be patient though, normal scheduling will resume in September.  Any submissions to the Literary Blog Directory won't be looked at now until September, so again be patient.

See you all in September :)

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful adventure! I live near Houston, so my mind is buzzing....What can I recommend that you see here??? Maybe a walk in the Museum District, around Rice University? The big oak trees make deep, cool shade. You must eat Tex-Mex while in Houston, I think. What about Chuy's? I love to walk along the Seawall in Galveston, but, then again, I've hardly been out of North America.

    I hope you have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing :) Have a great honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you will have - I am so envious. If I may make a suggestion - unless you have family or friends in Birmingham - I would skip it and go to Savannah since you haven't been to the states. Savannah wasn't destroyed in the Civil War so many of her historic buildings are still intact. It's one of my top 5 cities. I live in Virginia now, but did live in Mississippi, so brace yourself for the humidity, drink lots of water, and take it slow. Welcome to the South!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful trip! We'll still be here when you get back...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful time! It sure is a hot time of year to be in the south, but you can always escape into the Smoky Mountains for a reprieve. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savannah is a beautiful city, well worth the trip down there. There's a new Revolutionary War battlefield museum, and everything to the present. And you must head to Bonaventure Cemetery if you do go down there. Plus you can head out to Tybee Island Lighthouse and beach.

    Have a great trip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! Have a fun trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two are going to have so much fun! Congratulations on the wedding bells and the exciting vacation. I'm in Atlanta and can give you a great to-see list if you'd like. You gotta see all the little neighborhoods off the beaten path- so much more unique and fun than the downtown area. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a beautiful wedding, lovely honeymoon, and a long life of happiness Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful time. It sounds like a beautiful tour (except for the heat.) When you're in Jackson, if you get the chance, you might enjoy visiting Lemuria Books. It's an amazing independent bookstore.

    ReplyDelete